Monday, June 21, 2004

Adverbs

Adverbs: (From my own notes )

Adverb modifies the verb like adjective does to a noun. These words modify verbs, adjectives and adverbs.
Example - He runs fast. ( "fast" modifies verb "runs" )
- He drove a very fast car. ( "fast" is an adjective to noun "car". "very" is an adverb to adjective "fast" )

1. When specifying location or time, the most specific adverbs come first.
Example : He meets him at 2:30 PM(1) every tuesday(2) of the month(3)
People drive cars very fast on highways(1) of NewJersey(2) USA(3)

2. Adverb should be closer to the phrase it really modifies.

Example - My father works in Cleaveland at a bakery. ( Looks like Cleaveland is at a bakery ) - Wrong

My father works at a bakery in Cleaveland

3. To show emphasis an adverb can be placed in the begining of a sentence.
Example - She usually takes a short walk after lunch.
this can also be writen as
Usually she takes a short walk after lunch.

4. Adverbs have the following order of usage in a sentence.

Manner, Place, Frequency, Time, Purpose (MPFTP)

Example - He swims fast(manner) in the left lane(place) everyday(frequency) to stay in shape(purpose)

3 Comments:

Blogger job opportunitya said...

Unbelievable blog. I can hardly wait to vist this
site again.I'm consistently looking up blogs like
this.
Please take a journey to my compare term life insurance quote blog.

10:42 PM  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

Great blog. I surf the web looking for blogs like
this. Your site was on point and will be back again!
If your look to uncover information, please visit my compare term life insurance quote blog

12:45 PM  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

Creative blog. I just kept looking at it over and
over! Im always looking for blogs like this!
You got me! I will check out your premium term life insurance quote blog a.s.a.p!

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home